Sunday, December 29, 2013

Daily Musings Bonus: Movie Addition

Yesterday I saw Saving Mr. Banks.  My first disclaimer is that yes I know they took liberties, yes I know that some of the events did not happen just the way it was depicted in the movie, and all I can say to that is if you ever find a movie that is one hundred percent true to real life, I will eat my own hat.  Or something equally as silly.
First of all, anything that Emma Thompson does is pure gold, so therefore it is not necessarily surprising that I loved the film.  Second, I adore Disney, so yet again, we are not shocked by my statement that I loved this film.
Having said that, let me reemphasize. I. LOVED. THIS. FILM.   As an aspiring writer, who can admittedly do well with short reviews and small humorous posts but struggle with long and meaningful, the idea of pouring ones heart and soul into a piece of work, only to have that work turned into something that you had never envisioned, is rather horrifying.  Especially when the story had such strong emotional ties to your childhood.  The bravery that it takes to write the things of your heart, knowing that they will be forever subject to various interpretations, is bravery that I only endeavor to have.   I also empathized with the difficult choices you have to make in order to make ends meet.  How sometimes we give in what we want for what we need, even if it saddens us or makes us feel less than who we wish to be.
Another thing I loved about this film was the depiction of the collaborative effort that it takes to make a film and most especially to write music.   I found myself tearing up thinking about how it must have felt to know that you wrote a song that children will be singing for generations.
Emma Thompson's character was portrayed at first as someone who was difficult to work with, but the flashbacks of her life helped us understand why she would think and feel the way she did.   The characters, from the driver, to the script writers, to Disney himself, masterfully played by Tom Hanks, were all so well played that the movie felt so strong and heartfelt that it is one I feel I would watch over and over.  What's more, it made me want to find ways to be more creative in my own life, and find ways to collaborate with the creative people I know and love.
It also made me want to know more about the creative process behind the movies that I love.  It made me better understand that most stories have a reason behind them, and most people tell stories from the deepest part of their hearts.
Mostly, it reminded me that story telling is one way to help bring people together, and that we can use stories to help people see and understand one another.  We can also use stories to help us cope with when real life does not bring us the happiness we hope to have each day.  We can still choose to have happy memories, and bring that happiness with us.  
I really hope Hollywood continues to make more movies like Saving Mr. Banks.  I would encourage everyone to take the time to watch this film.  Bring tissues.  To say much more would spoil the experience.

No comments: