Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Great things about 2013

Let's face it, 2013 was not my favorite year.  A lot of rough and challenging things happened this year, big disappointments and little.  But rather than focus on that, today I want to muse about the things that happened this year that I absolutely loved.
1. Spending time exploring Chicago with my two girls.  What a fun place!  Museums, parks, zoos, beaches, movies, and shops.  Will always be a favorite place of mine.
2. Riding the train across country.  Got to do it three times.  Twice alone, once with Dad and my girls.  Absolutely my favorite way to travel.  If I had the time and means, I would ride Amtrak to all its locations.
3.  New friends.  All the wonderful people in Chicago who took me in and made me a part of their family.  I love them and miss them.  All the new people here in Utah who have opened their hearts to me.  
4.  Old friends.  People from high school, college, and other walks of life that have chosen to bring themselves back into my life at this time.  This year has been the year I have learned what true friendship means.  
5.  Family.   My parents and siblings have been so kind, nonjudgmental, and willing to sacrifice for my little family.
6.  My daughters.  My wonderful, intelligent, amazing daughters.  The moments I spend with them are the best of my life.
7.  Music.  From Kelly Clarkson and P!nk to Broadway, music has helped me get out bed on the worst days, and given me the spirit and strength to continue on.
8.  Work.  Allowing me to make a living, support my children, and do some good in the world.  
9.  My health.  I may not be the skinniest, most healthy person, and I may get a few too many headaches, but I am generally healthy and better off than so many in this world.
10.  Technology.  My friends are spread far and wide.   Facebook, phones, texting, all ways that I get to keep in touch with those I love.
11.  Good entertainment.  From Live Theatre, TV, Movies, Music, and more, I would say that 2013 has been a stellar year for entertainment.
12. Road Trip! Driving across country by myself helped me feel more comfortable in my own skin, eat excellent food, and really appreciate the beauty of the world.  It was also the birth of Maren's Daily Musings.

Let's all look for a better 2014, but also remember that even in the bad years, there is still happiness and excellence.  Happy New Year.

No comments: