Sunday, December 29, 2013

True New Years Resolutions

For many years I have made the same resolutions most of you have.  Eat healthier, exercise, lose weight, contribute in some way to a meaningful societal change.  2013 has humbled me with its challenges, changes, and my own awakening to my flaws as well as my true priorities.  So I humbly submit my list of true resolutions for the next year.
1. I will have more fun with my children.  I will play with them more, not freak out as much about not having the toys put away, and cherish more of our fun time together.
2.  I will find more time to do the things I enjoy.  I will read more, I will see more plays, I will watch more movies, and not waste time on useless entertainment when there is plenty of real entertainment to keep me busy.
3.  I will relax more.  No one cares if my clothes are folded perfectly or if my clothes look perfect or my hair looks perfect.
4.  I will go swimming whenever I want, even if I don't look good in a swimsuit.  If someone is really offended by seeing me in a modest, fat lady swimsuit, then they can swim somewhere else.
5.  Speaking of fat, I will only step on a scale when the doctor makes me.  
6.  I will try and move a little more, and eat a little less, but will not deprive myself just to try and fit into some ideal.
7.  I will laugh more.
8.  I will cry when I need to cry.  I will allow myself to be human and have emotions.
9.  I will spend more time with those I have learned are my true friends, and remember that there are many who love me.
10.  I will allow myself to feel comfortable and confident and realize that everyone is trying to do the best they can.
11.  I will listen to music more and sing more.
I look forward to 2014.   Even if great things don't happen, I know that good things will.   I will rejoice in the good and remorse with the bad and let myself be happy with who I am and where I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written as always. Love and best wishes for you in 2014. Jocelyn

Anonymous said...

I think everyone has a tendency to think their resolutions for the year have to be super specific and have these written in stone end result that if missed, means failure. I *love* that you are breaking the mold with yours! Much more realistic and more in line with the things that really do matter. I hope it's a great year - you definitely deserve it.