Saturday, January 18, 2014

Shows that changed me

If you have known me for more than five seconds you know that I love broadway shows.  A lot.  Probably almost unhealthy is my love for all things broadway.  Watching a local show here today I was thinking about what I love so much, and what it comes down to is the feeling of live theatre, and how live theatre has changed me, helped me grow as a person.  Sometimes it's the story, sometimes it's what happened in my life at the time, sometimes it's the performance, sometimes it's the music.  In no particular order, here is a list of shows that have changed me.  
1.  Mame.  Weird I know but it was the first show I was in.  I was ten.
2. West side story.  Cause it's amazing. 
3.  Anyone who knows me will be shocked by this one.  The Music Man.  It's actually my least favorite show, but ironically the first show I ever reviewed.  Reviewing shows has been my balm of Gilead over the last few years, so I am grateful to the music man. 
4. Wicked.  Cliche but whatever.  Don't judge. 
5. Aida.  As anyone who lived in my apartment complex at Utah state can attest.  
6. Rent. See number 5.  And a shout out to Tyson for helping me to finally be a confident singer. 
7. Ragtime.  Most moving performance I ever saw on broadway.  We'll never get to heaven til we reach that day.  
8. Songs for a new world.  And anything else by Jason Robert Brown.
9. Les Miserables.  Cause it is what it is. 
10.  The secret garden.  Seventh Grade in Michelle Philipps basement singing our guts out.  It's this day not you that's bound to go away.  
11.  Phantom.  The first musical album I ever owned.  
12.  Jekyll and Hyde.  Beautiful and haunting.  And Linda Eder.
13.  Hairspray.  Cause fat girls can be leading ladies. 
14. A raisin in the sun.  For changing my perspective on actors and acting.  
15.  Anything with Audra McDonald.  Anything.  
16.  Little Women.  Because you have to believe there is reason for all.  You have to believe that the answers will come. 
17.  The lion king.  Because the opening number was costuming genius.  And because I know that the night must end and that the sun will rise.  
18.  Titanic.  For introducing me to Brian D'Arcy James.
19.  Thoroughly Modern Millie.  For bringing Sutton Foster to my life. 
20.  Brooklyn the Musical.  Eden Espinosa.  That is all.
21. In the Heights.  Who knew I would ever like anything that included rap? 
22.  Mamma Mia.  On Stage not the movie.  For reminded me that sometimes theatre should be fun. 
23. Into the woods.  Careful the things you say.  Children will listen.  
24.  Beauty and The Beast.  For helping me gain appreciation of costumes and makeup. 
25. Assassins.  For helping me gain an appreciation for an amazingly written story.  And Neil Patrick Harris.  

What shows do you love?

No comments: