Friday, January 31, 2014

Self esteem builders

Raising girls makes me nervous.  When I think of my friends growing up, every single one of us felt not good enough.  When I think of my friends now, most of us feel not good enough.  We are too fat or too thin.  We don't spend enough time with our kids.  Those of us who are divorced feel not good enough because of that.  Those who are married feel like they are not good enough spouses.  Those who work feel not good enough.  Those who stay home feel not good enough.  The list goes on.  I don't want my girls to feel this way.  I want them to celebrate being them.  I want to build their confidence.  I want them to feel like they can be whatever they want.   I want them not to base their self worth on others definitions of them.  I just don't know how to foster those feelings.  I have a few ideas, but need a whole lot more.  
1. Encourage creativity 
2.  Encourage bravery 
3. Help them try new things
4. Help them know failure is a part of life.  
5. Help them know rejection is a part of life
6.  Help them know that it is not possible to please everyone.
7.  Teach them the value of taking risks
8. Encourage learning 
9. Let them figure out what they like 
10. Knowing my ale that just because I like it does not mean that they will. 
11. Encourage decision making. 
12.  Encourage doing chores
13. Encourage education and skill building
14.  Encourage independence
15.  Encourage them to share emotions and feelings 
16.  Tell them they are good enough
17. Read and then read some more
18. Accept that no matter what I do, they are their own people and eventually will make their own decisions.
19. Learn how to believe I am good enough, because eventually they will see themselves in me.  

"Pretty pretty please if you ever ever feel like you're nothing, you are perfect to me."

No comments: