Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What P!nk Taught Me

You had to know I would muse about all things P!nk.  Her concert was literally one of the most thrilling spectacles I have ever seen, and I have seen a fair amount of spectacles.   I can usually sing decently whilst standing up straight and having good breath control.  How one can sing well spinning in the air, flying in the air, hanging upside down, and dancing like that is truly beyond comprehension.  If I had not been a fan before, the performance last night would have certainly converted me.   However, I was certainly a P!nk aficionado before walking in.  This fact has surprised many, as I often get the comment that P!nk does not seem like "my type of music".  (I only have to assume they mean not broadway when they say that).  But it is simply not the case.  I like music to have a point, to teach me something.  Yeah, sure, once and awhile I will be caught singing some top 40 song with no substance or meaning, and I like most have some songs on my itunes playlists that border on embarrassing, however by in large the music I enjoy has a purpose, and that purpose is to teach me, inspire me, make me want to be a better person, live a better life, be stronger, and help others do the same.  I also like songs that say things that I can't seem to say myself.  Sometimes that is mean, sometimes that is good.  I like songs that are real.  So, in honor of yesterday, in no particular order, here is what P!nk has taught me:
1.  Just because it burns doesn't mean you're gonna die.  You gotta get up and try, try, try.
2.  I don't want to be a stupid girl.
3.  I'm not gonna let you check out of this place, cause the passion and pain are gonna keep you alive someday.
4.  So if you're too school for cool, and you're treated like a fool, you can choose to let it go, we can always party on our own.
5. You're so mean when you talk about yourself.  You were wrong. Change the voices in your head.  Make them like you instead.
6. We're not broken, just bent, and we can learn to love again.
7. I'm my own worst enemy (Don't let me get me.)
8. They knew better.  Still you said forever, and ever.  Who knew?
9.  I think that life's too short for this.  I want back my ignorance and bliss.  I think I've had enough of this.  Blow me one last kiss.
10.  I forgot to say out loud how beautiful you really are to me.
11. So what? I'm still a rock star.  I've got my rock moves, and I don't need you :).
12.  I had a revelation.  All's well right now.  It's all good right now.  These are the good old days.
13.  Sometimes I hate every single stupid word you say.
14. Mistaken, always second guessing, look I'm still around.
15. I'm not here for your entertainment.  You don't really want to mess with me tonight.
16.  I am finding that's not the way I want my story to end.
17. The quiet scares me cause it screams the truth.
18.  Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel that your less than, less than perfect.
19. How do you sleep while the rest of us cry?  How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say goodbye?
20. I swear, you're just like a pill, instead of making me better, you keep making me ill.
21. So if you see me coming down the street then you know it's time to go.
22. Have you ever hated yourself for staring at the phone? Your whole life waiting on the ring to prove you're not alone.
23. Take the best of what I've got, and you know no matter what, before you walk away, you know you can run back to my arms and they will hold you down.
24. Let me be lighter.  I'm tired of being a fighter.

I could go on, but we all get the point.  Where there is desire there is gonna be a flame.  Where there is a flame someone's bound to get burned.  But just because it burns doesn't mean we're gonna die.  You gotta get up and try.

No comments: